Compassionate, Expert GI Care
Trust your colonoscopy to the experts at Williamson Medical Center. We offer high-quality care in a friendly, relaxed setting.
A Life-Saving Screening for Colorectal Cancer
Regardless of age, it’s important to know how to reduce the risk of colorectal cancer. Williamson Medical Group’s GI specialist, Elizabeth Lindsey, M.D., is passionate about the importance of getting screened and providing peace of mind to her patients.
Know the Facts
- Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among men and women combined in the United States.
- 1 in 20 people will be diagnosed with colorectal cancer.
- 1 in 3 people are not up-to-date with screening for colorectal cancer.
- Last year there were an estimated 140,250 new cases of colorectal cancer.
- Purpose of screening colonoscopy is to find early colon cancer and more importantly to find and remove precancerous polyps.
- Colonoscopy with removal of precancerous polyps has been found to result in: 1) lower incidence of colorectal cancer as well as 2) reduce mortality (by 53%) from colorectal cancer.
Who Should be Screened and When
- All men and women should be screened for colon cancer beginning at age 50, if not earlier.*The American Cancer Society recommends starting at age 45, but not all insurers cover the cost of colorectal cancer screening before age 50. Contact your insurer to confirm coverage.
- People with personal or family history of colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, or experiencing symptoms are considered “high risk”.
- Individuals exhibiting signs and symptoms, regardless of age or family history, should be screened.
The safety and health of our patients and staff is always our top priority. Williamson Medical Group is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and continues to follow the latest CDC guidelines to take the necessary precautions to protect our patients and staff. To learn more about the safety measures we are taking, click here.
Schedule a Consultation
Anchored in Excellence.
Elizabeth Lindsey, M.D., is a board-certified specialist with advanced training in diagnosing, managing and healing the gastrointestinal system.
We utilize state-of-the-art technology to perform procedures including colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy and upper endoscopy.
Top Quality Care
We’re proud to be named as one of the best in the nation for Patient Safety by the Women’s Choice Awards.
1) Winawer SJ, Zauber AG, Ho MN, et al. Prevention of colorectal cancer by colonoscopic polypectomy. N Engl J Med 1993;329:1977-1981 AND 2) Zauber et al N Engl J Med 2012; 366:687-696