The role of the social worker is to provide short-term counseling/crisis management with patients and their families who are impacted by adjustment to illness or diagnosis, change in residence or lifestyle, and/or financial concerns which are a result of their illness and hospitalization. This counseling/crisis management includes discharge planning, referral, education, appropriate use of resources, and collaboration with physicians, hospital staff, patients, families, and community agencies. This position is important in that early planning with patients can reduce their anxiety, result in shorter patient stays and may prevent readmissions that are the result of inadequate discharge plans
Formal Education / Training:
Masters in Social Work preferred; Bachelors in Social Work with appropriate experience.
Hospital social work preferred; experience in home health care or community social work considered
Equipment and Skills Training:
Computer, telephone, printer, fax, copier.
Clinical, possible exposure to hazardous materials, infectious fluids and airborne particles.
Must be able to get around unassisted in hospital and into patient rooms. Visual and hearing acuity, manual acuity
1. Screens for appropriate referrals
2. Completes assessments in Meditech in timely fashion, assessment includes patient's level of functioning, psychosocial and discharge needs
3. Involves patient/family in discharge planning; assists them in exploring realistic options for discharge and developing an appropriate plan for patient. This plan addresses patient needs and reflects good management of hospital resources
4. Collaborates with physicians and other health care staff to meet patient’s needs ,both in hospital and at discharge
5. Delivers all services to patients/family in accordance with departmental procedures , hospital policies and professional standards
6. Documents appropriately in medical chart- follows departmental procedures and hospital policy with regard to confidentiality
7. Is knowledgeable about available resources, eligibility criteria, and how to access services
8. Maintains positive working relationships with community agencies
9. Provides short-term counseling, when indicated, to patient/family as defined and described in departmental procedures
10. Communicates clearly and accurately, both in verbal and written information, with physicians, hospital staff, patients, and families
11. Cultivates and maintains good working relationships within the department and with other hospital staff.